Benefits for the Person you Care for

Find out about benefits the person you care for may be entitled to

The person you care for may be entitled to claim certain benefits if they are unable to work due to health reasons or need help with day to day living due to a disability or condition.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

You may be able to apply for DLA if you meet the following criteria:

  • Be under 16 – anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payments.
  • Need extra looking after or have walking difficulties.

To claim DLA for a child you need to be their parent or look after them as if you’re their parent. This includes step-parents, guardians, grandparents, foster-parents or older brothers or sisters.

To apply you can either print a form yourself or ask for one to be sent out to you.

For more information on how to claim click here.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

To be eligible to claim PIP the following must apply:

  • You must be aged 16 or over and usually have not reached State Pension age.
  • You must also have a health condition or disability where you have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months and expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months.

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Click here for more information or to start your claim.

How to Claim Attendance Allowance

To claim AA, the following must apply:

If you have an illness or health condition where the prognosis is no longer than 6 months, you can apply under special rules.

You can print a form online to complete or have a form posted out to you. Click here for more on how to do this.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for ESA if you’re under State Pension age and you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work and you can apply whether you’re in or out of work. There are conditions to working while claiming ESA. You cannot get ESA at the same time as:

  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Statutory Sick Pay
  • Statutory Maternity Pay

Most new claims are for ‘new style’ ESA. To get this you need to have both worked as an employee or been self-employed and paid enough National Insurance contributions in the last 2 to 3 years ; this can include National Insurance credits.

For more information about eligibility and how to claim click here.