Council Tax & Housing Benefit

Find out about applying for financial help towards your housing and council tax

If you are in receipt of certain benefits or are on a low income, you could be eligible to apply for housing benefit and/or a council tax discount.

Housing benefit is being replaced by Universal Credit; you may still be able to apply for housing benefit if any of the following apply to you:

  • You’re getting, or recently stopped getting, a benefit with a severe disability premium (SDP)
  • You and your partner have reached state pension age
  • You or your partner have been getting Pension Credit since before 15 May 2019
  • You receive care and support from your landlord, such as local council or sheltered accommodation, i.e. assisted living

If you are not eligible to claim housing benefit, you may be able to make a claim for Universal Credit – find out more here.

Council Tax Reduction or Exemption

Council Tax Reduction or Exemption

To qualify for a council tax reduction, you must be:

  • The person responsible for paying the council tax for the property in which you live
  • On a low income

There are certain exemptions which apply; you can find out more about this here.

Council tax disabled band reduction scheme

You may qualify for this If you live in a larger property than you would need if none of the occupants were disabled.

  • You would need to show that either you have an extra room that you need for the disabled person or;
  • You need extra space for the use of a wheelchair

The property must be the main home of at least one disabled adult or child, although that person does not have to be responsible for the payment of council tax on the property.

To find out if you are eligible, speak to your local council tax department or you can find out more here.