NHS Costs

Find out what help may be available to assist with NHS costs

You may be able to get help with costs for things such as prescriptions, dental treatment and glasses dependent on your situation.

Free Prescriptions

If you are in receipt of any of the following benefits you will qualify for free NHS Prescriptions:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

You may also be eligible if you receive Universal Credit and meet the criteria or if you are named on a valid tax credit exemption certificate.

Other exemptions include if the person is under 16 and over 60 years of age, is pregnant or given birth in the last 12 months or is an NHS inpatient.

For a full list of the exemption criteria see here.

NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS)

This scheme can help with costs for the following:

  • Prescription Costs
  • Eye care Costs
  • Dental Costs
  • Healthcare Travel Costs
  • Wigs & Fabric Supports

You can apply to this scheme provided that your savings and assets (not including the property in which you live) do not exceed £23,250 for people living in permanent residential care or £16,000 if you do not.

To apply to this scheme, you need to complete an HC1 form; you can download a copy of this form at the bottom of this page.

Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS)

The Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme can help if you are referred to an NHS service for treatment or tests.

You must be referred to this by a healthcare profession and the appointment must take place on a different day to when the referral is made.

You must receive one of the following to apply to this scheme:

  • Get Income Support
  • Get income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Get income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Get Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • Working Tax Credit (WTC) with Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • WTC with a disability element or a severe disability element
  • CTC but you’re not eligible for WTC

You can also apply is you are named on a valid tax credit exemption certificate or receive universal credit and meet the criteria.

You can also claim expenses for a Carer of escort if it is deemed necessary for you to be able to travel.

You can find out more about help with NHS costs here or contact one of our advice workers.