Transport & Parking

Information about support available to help with getting out and about

There are schemes available both locally and nationally that provide concessions for parking and travelling.

Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge scheme is a national initiative that allows people with server mobility issues to park closer to their destination, allowing for easier access to services like GP’s and hospitals and also helps with making day to day living easier by providing easier access for food shopping and collecting medication.

You can be either the driver or the passenger of the vehicle to apply.

You can find out more about eligibility and how to apply here or you can speak to one of our advice workers who will be able to give you information and help you to complete the form if required.

Disable Persons Freedom Pass

To be eligible for a disable persons Freedom Pass:

Your primary residence must be in London and you must have any of the following disabilities:

  • You are blind or partially sighted
  • You are profoundly or severely deaf
  • You are without speech
  • You have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left you with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • You do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • You have a learning disability that is defined as ‘a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning’
  • You would have an application for a driving license refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

Carers of someone with a disability are not eligible for a freedom pass.

Taxicard Scheme

If a person holds a freedom pass but is unable to use public transport without support, they may be able to apply for the Taxicard scheme; this scheme offers discounted trips in licensed taxis and private hire vehicles for people with severe mobility problems.

To find out more about any of these schemes, speak to one of our advice workers who can give you further information and help with the application process if required.