Utility Bills

Find out what help may be available to assist with house hold bills

You or the person you care for may be able to access help with your utility bills.

Help with fuel bills

Schemes are available to help with fuel bills if you meet certain criteria:

Winter Fuel Payments

Winter fuel payments are available to help pay for heating costs in winter. To be eligible, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You were born on or before 5 November 1953 
  • You must have lived in the UK for at least one day throughout the week of 21 to 27 September 2020

Payment will be automatic if:

  • You received a payment last year
  • You receive state pension
  • You or your partner are in receipt of pension credit, income based job seekers allowance or income related employment and support allowance

You may still be eligible if you do not receive any of the above but you will need to make a claim; find out how here.

Cold Weather Payments

You may be entitled to cold weather payments between the months of November and March if the temperature in your area is at or below freezing over 7 days.

Cold weather payments are made automatically if you are in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits and do not affect any other benefits you are receiving.

For a full list of qualifying benefits, check here.

Priority Service Registers:

UK Power Networks owns and maintains electricity cables and lines in the region, making sure your lights stay on. They understand that some customers will need extra support in the event of, a power cut, perhaps because they are relying on electrical equipment or they are housebound and, if they know where you are, UK Power Networks can do more to help.

UKPN have set up a free Priority Service Register for more vulnerable households in the event of a power cut, including people who are elderly, have health problems, disabilities or who have severe financial difficulties. If you’re a Carer, you can register for free on behalf of the person or people you care for.

Who can receive extra support?

  • If you rely on medical equipment
  • If you have refrigerated medicines
  • If you have a serious or chronic illness
  • If you have a disability
  • If you or someone you care for is living with dementia
  • If you are of pensionable age
  • If you have children under five in your household
  • If you need extra support for a short time period (e.g. If you are recovering from medical treatment)

What help should I expect to get during a power cut?

  • A priority number that you can call 24 hours a day
  • A dedicated team who will contact you to keep you updated during a power cut
  • We can put you in touch with an expert who can offer you advice on energy bills and energy saving tips if this is important to you
  • Tailored support if needed such as home visits, hot meals, advice and keeping your friends and relatives updated
  • In certain scenarios we may also offer a free hotel overnight and transport to the hotel

If you have a query about the priority service register please contact UK Power Networks directly psr@ukpowernetworks.co.uk.

To download your application pack and join the register today see our link at the bottom of this page.

If you don’t use the internet but would like to sign up contact Wandsworth Carers’ Centre on 020 8877 1200.

Thames Water Help Schemes

WaterHelp Scheme

Thames Water have a scheme which may entitle you to a discount if you live in a low income household. You could qualify for a 50% discount on your whole bill, although this discount amount may change.

WaterSure Scheme

This scheme, also provided by Thames Water, applies to those who have a water metre and are struggling to save water due to having a large family or a member of the household has a water dependent medical condition.

You must be receiving a qualifying benefit, a member of the household must have a medical condition that requires extra water OR have three or more children under the age of 19 living at the property who make you eligible for child benefits.

The qualifying benefits are:

  • Child Tax Credit (receiving more than the family element)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Job seeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Be responsible for 3 or more children under 19 (and receiving Child Benefit)

Qualifying medical conditions are

  • Abdominal stoma
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Desquamation (flaky skin disease)
  • Eczema, psoriasis or varicose ulceration (weeping skin disease)
  • Incontinence
  • Ulcerative colitis
  • Renal conditions requiring home dialysis (except where the NHS makes a contribution toward water costs)
  • Any other medical conditions that require extra water

You can download both the WaterSure and WaterHelp application forms below.