Extra COVID-19 testing will be rolled-out in Wandsworth
A number of cases of the South African variant have been identified in parts of south London, including Wandsworth. All cases are now self-isolating and robust contact tracing has taken place to trace their contacts and ask them to self-isolate. (No cases have been identified in Richmond.)
Everyone who lives or works in Wandsworth is being asked to take a COVID-19 PCR test to help quickly identify any further cases and limit any potential spread.
There is currently no evidence to suggest this variant is more serious than others, or that the regulated vaccines would not protect against it.
What are people being advised to do?
- Every person living or working in Wandsworth is strongly encouraged to take a PCR COVID-19 test this week, even if they are not showing symptoms.
- If people are getting regular rapid tests for work or other commitments (lateral flow tests), they should prioritise getting a PCR test this week. PCR tests are able to detect new variants of the virus, which the rapid tests cannot.
- Facilities offering on-site PCR testing will be deployed at Wandsworth Town Hall, Tooting Leisure Centre and the University of Roehampton. Further testing sites will be opened during the week.
- People are advised to continue following the national guidance on current restrictions and adhere to social distancing using the hands-face-space rules, if they are leaving home.
How can people get a test?
People without symptoms can:
- Get an on-site PCR test at Wandsworth Town Hall, Tooting Leisure Centre and the University of Roehampton.
- Book an appointment at wandsworth.gov.uk/surge-testing (for themselves and/or another person)
- People who are unable to book online, and don’t know someone who can book for them, can call 020 8871 6555 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm for help.
People with symptoms can:
- Get tested at one of several symptomatic local test sites across Wandsworth. They must book an appointment at gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or call 119.
- You should not visit Wandsworth Town Hall, Tooting Leisure Centre and the University of Roehampton if you are displaying COVID-19 symptoms
If you need further information, please visit wandsworth.gov.uk/surge-testing