This is a great recipe which can be used for all sorts of different meals like spaghetti bolognese, lasagna or can be used as a stir in sauce. It’s also great to freeze in batches to defrost when you need to
- Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 x 500g cartons of tomato passata
- 1 litre of water
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- Pinch of salt
- Take a large saucepan and add enough oil to cover the base.
- Heat gently and add the onions. Fry until soft.
- Add the garlic and continue to fry until the garlic is soft too.
- Add the passata and then fill 2 of the cartons with water and pour into the pan.
- Bring to the boil adding the salt and basil.
- When the sauce has come to the boil, reduce the heat to low (gas mark 1 or 2) and leave to simmer for at least 3 hours (the longer you can leave it, the better it will be). Once cooked, you can batch the sauce in containers and it will keep in the freezer for 3 months.